Nmap Development mailing list archives

Nping Echo Protocol : Request for comments

From: "Luis MartinGarcia." <luis.mgarc () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 12:56:21 +0200

Hi, nmap-dev.

As you already know, we are developing a special client/server mode for
Nping that allows users to see what the packets they send look like when
they reach their destination. For this, we need to define our own
protocol (for authentication and echoed packet transport). I attach an
RFC-like protocol definition document. If any of you has time to have a
look at it, comments and suggestions would be appreciated.

Implementation of this functionality will start in less than a week so
now is the best time to make comments and give your opinion. It would be
specially useful if those of you who are into cryptography and security
had a look at sections 2.12, 2.13 and 2.14 and make comments on the
choices that have been made. If you are already familiar with the echo
mode, feel free to skip the long "Introduction" section.

Note that the RFC may change slightly during the next few days. You can
always find the latest version in
http://nmap.org/svn/nping/nping-dev/EchoProtoRFC.txt.

Thanks for your help. Regards,

Luis MartinGarcia.