Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Qscan in NSE: qscan.nse

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2010 22:10:23 -0600

On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 12:09:20PM -0500, Kris Katterjohn wrote:
On 03/19/2010 07:10 AM, Ron wrote:
On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 00:32:27 -0700 Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org> wrote:
On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 01:59:04AM -0500, Ron wrote:
Ahh, I wasn't running it as root -- I don't have root on that
system. I'll try it properly tomorrow.

I blame St Patrick's day. :)
Thanks for testing.  And I suppose the script should probably give an
error in verbose mode for the first host it runs against if it is not
going to work for this reason.  That way at least people who specify
it explicitly on the command line should get the error thanks to the
verbosity bump in that case.

Cheers,
-F
Hmm, yeah, I agree. Pretty much all my scripts, with a couple exceptions, will print out *something* if they run
and nmap.debugging()>0. The only time I don't is when the odds of a script actually doing something are minimal.

I updated ipidseq and qscan (attached) to print a message once about lack of
privileges when verbosity > 0.

So any report on how the script is actually working?  If more changes are
wanted, I'll stick it in nmap-exp/kris somewhere to avoid any more attachments.

It looks good to commit to me, just with some more documentation. Most
important is a section on how to interpret the results. Explain what it
means for ports to be in different "families." Document what the units
are in the MEAN column (milliseconds?), or even better, just put "ms" in
the output table.

There should be a paragraph explaining what's going on: mean and stddev
of RTT are calculated over multiple sends to a port. I don't think a
reference to the Student's t-test is out of place, as long as it's not
in the first paragraph.

Also mention that it tests both open and closed ports--that surprised me
at first.

Oh, and the script arguments should be qualified with a "qscan." prefix.

David Fifield