Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Nmap as a network mapper

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 15:47:42 -0600

On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 10:42:22PM +0100, mjanmart () student fundp ac be wrote:

Make sure you use the --traceroute option or else the Topology view
isn't as interesting. Even then, if you are scanning just one subnet the
"map" will be only one-hop connections.

Zenmap doesn't have a display to show "computer always up are in red,
computer always down are in green," but what you can do is do several
scans of the network over time, save the results in XML format, and then
write a program to count how many times each host was up across all
scans.

As a matter of fact, I can use firewall and DHCP logs so I can know how
long computers are up. What I wanted nmap to do is to give me some kind
of "tree" I could use in a java program. I would then use my database to
"colour" the nodes according to my will.

Then use the --traceroute option. If you use the XML output format, you
can get the traces from it and your Java program can build the tree. Or,
use the "Save Graphic" button in Zenmap, save to SVG, and then use an
SVG editor like Inkscape to color the nodes.

If you're only scanning a LAN, the traceroute output won't be
interesting. If you want a different kind of map, like one showing the
physical location of computers, Zenmap doesn't do that.

David Fifield