Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: zenmap doesn't scan my user mode linux image

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2010 13:04:02 -0700

On Tue, Mar 09, 2010 at 08:56:59PM +0100, Toralf Förster wrote:

David Fifield wrote at 17:41:12
I think this is the same problem as

"Nmap bug - Doesn't folow static route"
http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2010/q1/685

You must be scanning 192.168.0.253. That address happens to be inside
the netmask for the eth0 device, so Nmap is choosing that device,
without considering the more specific entry for tap0 that comes later.
There's no solution for it yet. As a workaround, try changing the IP
address of the User Mode Linux to something outside of the netmask of
eth0, like 192.168.1.253.

but it is a regression at least at at my Gentoo system either between net-
analyzer/nmap-5.00-r2 and net-analyzer/nmap-5.21.
Or something other at my notebook changed, b/c I'm pretty sure that it worked
fine before (b/c I use the UML system since years to play with wireshark and
the protocols of sendmail, courier, apache, cups and friends).

It would be very helpful if you could retest with version 5.00 to
confirm that. It will be much easier to fix if you can find a version
that definitely works.

David Fifield