Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Crash on Windows 208 server

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2010 13:58:37 -0700

On Tue, Mar 02, 2010 at 12:59:16PM -0300, Juan Carlos Castro y Castro wrote:
Fyodor wrote:
On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 03:36:02PM -0700, David Fifield wrote:

On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 03:53:58PM -0300, Juan Carlos Castro y Castro wrote:

Does anyone else use --interactive? My guess is that it hasn't worked
for running more than one scan for some time. For those who don't know,
when you use --interactive, you get a little shell like this:

You're probably right.  Unless we hear from at least a couple
Interactive Mode fans who want it kept, I think we can remove that
whole functionality.  Even the Nmap man page says "This option is
rarely used".

I wanted that option to create a daemon process to serve probe request,
in a way similar to what ClamAV does. It would be nice not having to
reload an executable for each scan.

--interactive is basically reloading the engine every time, including
data files. All you would be saving is the overhead of the OS loading
the binary. You should make some measurements to see if it's really
saving you anything.

David Fifield