Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Nping included with Nmap

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 18:41:46 -0800

On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 07:04:05PM -0700, David Fifield wrote:
I've just finished integrating Nping into the Nmap build system. It will
work just like the other auxiliary programs. You can disable building it
with --without-nping.

It's easy to make a mistake with this kind of thing, so if you see
something wrong, or if you have a suggestion to improve the build,
please let us know.

Thanks David!  I only had a few minutes for testing right now, but it
compiled and ran (simple "nping scanme.nmap.org") on Linux.  On
Windows 7 X64, I was able to build an installer, install it, and Nping
seemed to run fine (though again, I only tried simple commands).

Nping will be a great new feature of the next release, and I hope
we're able to improve it even more during SoC 2010!  In particular,
I'm super excited about the echo mode functionality we talked about
last year (where it shows you the packets received by a listener next
to the packets which you send).

Cheers,
-F