Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Installing Nmap on Cell phones.

From: luke jeter <luke.jeter () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2010 10:33:33 -0700

The timeliness of this thread is amazing! Over the past couple of days, I
was contemplating whether or not I wanted to try taking on a project to port
NMAP to the Android OS. I'm still a student and have a limited amount of
practical experience, so before comitting myself to something like this, I'd
welcome any feedback to my primary two concerns:
1 - If an NMAP application were available for your smart phone, would you
install it, and more importantly would you actually use it? Would you
instead be more likely to use a laptop version when mobile? Is there maybe a
specific subset of NMAP features that would be useful on a phone?
2 - Android applications run in a modified java virtual machine. In
addition, many NMAP features require root access which isn't available to
users of Android phones, with the exception of those phones that are
unofficially 'rooted' or the Nexus 1 Dev phone. Based on those two
limitations, I assume a substantial amount of code would have to be
re-written to make NMAP useful on a phone, but I'm uncertain about the
difficulty since I've never taken on a project like this before. Would this
be a relatively easy project, or near impossible? Would making Nmap a
user-space application on a phone be too much of a security concern?

My apologies if my questions are a bit on the naive-side, and I welcome any
comments or pointers to any additional resources. Thanks!

luke

On Sat, Feb 13, 2010 at 11:25 AM, Christopher Atanasopulo [John Doe] <