Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: ncat 5.10BETA handling of -l -p is not compatible with nc-1.10

From: Denys Vlasenko <vda.linux () googlemail com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 05:58:34 +0100

On Sunday 10 January 2010 18:11, Kris Katterjohn wrote:
On 01/10/2010 09:57 AM, Denys Vlasenko wrote:
On Sunday 10 January 2010 09:47, Kris Katterjohn wrote:
Do you understand why compatibility is important?
Do you understand why convenience is important?  We as authors and users
shouldn't be stuck with command arguments from over a decade ago

You answered my question. You do not understand why compatibility
is important. Thank God other depelopers do, and, for example,
coreutils dd is not going to become "more convenient" and ditch
its "stupid and non-standard" if=FILE style parameters.

I didn't realize the traditional nc was ever as ubiquitous as dd.

Whether nc or dd is more widely used utility does not appear to be
relevant to the discussion.

Out of
curiosity, how many Linux distros, BSDs and anything else install *Hobbit*'s
nc by default over something like OpenBSD nc?

I don't know. Anyway, OpenBSD, GNU and Nmap's implementations are now
*mutually* incompatible, thus claiming that old netcat is dead and buried
does not help one iota - the incompatibility among "modern" netcats
still exists and is a problem for admins who write script using nc.

How about a little respect towards the original author?
Why not to keep stuff compatible relative to his version
at least as a gesture of respect?

The notion of overall compatibility between netcats was lost long before Ncat
came along, so it's a little late (and the wrong place) to complain.

In case you think I am on a religious crusade or something,
I am not the only person who complains:

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=1763649&group_id=52204&atid=466046

http://n2.nabble.com/Netcat-on-Fedora-is-a-different-Netcat-td2135357.html

--