Nmap Development mailing list archives

How to make a manual PMTU discovery

From: "Wissmann, Dirk" <Dirk.Wissmann () atosorigin com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 09:36:53 +0100

Hi folks,

I think here are the people who will know this: I'm searching for a tool to manually make a path mtu discovery from my
windows pc to some machines in our network. I tried hping, but the version I have here is from 2006, is called hping2,
and does nothing.

Then I thought, perhaps there is a chance to do this with nmap, but I didn't find anything.

So is there any tool available to do this in a way, like I dream of (I name the virtual tool "show_pmtu" just to give
the example):

show_pmtu mydesthost

PATH MTU to mydesthost is 512

It's because we do have some trouble with some older machines which were placed in a new network. Since then, the
communication is veeerryy slloooww, and using wireshark, I see a lot of TCP retransmissions, DUP ACKs, ACKS of lost
segments, but only to this one special network and these older machines. Maybe they are on the edge of their capacity,
just doing ip (de-)fragmentation over and over...

Dirk