Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: OSX dmg installer glitches for zenmap

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 01:40:09 -0700

On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 09:44:20AM +1000, Danny Thomas wrote:

I've just updated to 5.20 from 5.00 and again zenmap didn't
seem to be installed/updated.

Using nmap-5.20.dmg on OSX 10.6.2 and system X11

The first time I tried running the installer, the dates of binaries
changed from 6 Jul 2009 to
$ ls -l /usr/local/bin
total 6960
-rwxrwxr-x  1 dthomas  staff   313440 16 Jan 06:27 ncat
-rwxrwxr-x  1 dthomas  staff    46377 16 Jan 06:28 ndiff
-rwxrwxr-x  1 dthomas  staff  3197052 16 Jan 06:25 nmap

Now I keep non-Apple items in a sub-directory of /Applications
and that zenmap did not seem to be updated, but I may
not have properly checked whether it had changed.

I then moved zenmap from the sub-directory to be directly
in /Applications. Again ran the installer. This time zenmap was
updated to 5.20 according to Get Info, bit it still listed the
Created & Modified times as 6-Jul-2009.

So to check whether the installer had originally updated the
zenmap when it was in a sub-directory, but I hadn't noticed
because the date was still showing as last year, I manually
removed the 4 items, ran the 5.00 installer, moved
zenmap into the sub-directory and checked the times
reported by ls -l.

Ran nmap-5.20.mkpg, and again all 4 items items were shown
as "Upgrade". The dates on the /usr/local/bin binaries was
changed, but again the Get Info for zenmap still showed
Jul-2009. What's more this time it still showed 5.00 as the
version. Running the binary and doing an About confirmed
it really was 5.20. Here's ls -l for top items in application

drwxr-xr-x  3 dthomas  staff    102  6 Jul  2009 Zenmap.app

drwxr-xr-x  7 dthomas  staff  238 24 Jan 09:27 Contents

drwxr-xr-x  46 dthomas  staff  1564 24 Jan 09:27 Frameworks
-rw-rw-r--   1 root     admin  2502 16 Jan 06:29 Info.plist
drwxr-xr-x   6 dthomas  staff   204 24 Jan 09:27 MacOS
-rw-rw-r--   1 root     admin     8 16 Jan 06:29 PkgInfo
drwxr-xr-x  12 dthomas  staff   408 24 Jan 09:28 Resources

As well as not updating the dates for the Zenmap.app folder,
I think there's another bug. When I first tried installing 5.00
on a fresh OSX 10.6 system, zenmap did not appear in the
Applications folder. I suspect that's because I was installing
it from an external drive which had a copy of my previous
OSX 10.5 system including a zenmap. I suspect that copy
was updated rather than being installed in /Applications.
I eventually managed to install zenmap after running the
installer from the local hard disk with the external drive no
 longer mounted.

Perhaps the installer should check/warn if it's going to
update a copy of zenmap outside the /Applications folder
for the running system.

This is a "feature" of the OS X installer I haven't figured out how to
disable. Instead of installing in /Applications where you want it, it
searches the hard drive for anything that looks like a previous
installation and puts it there instead. You can tell it's happening by
opening Console, then install.log, and looking for lines like this:

Jan 15 13:42:55 mac-mini pkgExtractor[50173]:    Diverting "./Zenmap.app" to
"/Users/david/nmap/macosz/zenmap-build/zenmap/dist/Zemap.app"

The created and modified times on the directory might not get updated
when a new version is installed.

David Fifield