Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: http.useragent script argument

From: Ron <ron () skullsecurity net>
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 2010 19:14:32 -0600

On 01/07/2010 07:05 PM, David Fifield wrote:
I added a new script argument, http.useragent, that allows overriding
the default HTTP User-Agent of
      Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; Nmap Scripting Engine; http://nmap.org/book/nse.html)
You use it like this:
      nmap --script-args http.useragent=Nmap
      nmap --script-args http.useragent=\"\"
Setting it to the empty string disable sending of the User-Agent header.

This was easy to implement so I just did it. It's not too late to change
the script argument name if you have another opinion about what it
should be.

It just occurred to me that it might also be useful to be able to set
the User-Agent from within a script. Maybe there's some application that
changes its behavior in a way we care about with different agents. Can
anyone think of an application for this proposed feature?

David Fifield

I've seen more than one site that does a match and says "sorry, we only
support Internet Explorer" or some nonsense like that. This would be
useful for those situations.

--
Ron Bowes
http://www.skullsecurity.org/