Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: MySQL scripts

From: Ron <ron () skullsecurity net>
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 16:20:01 -0600

On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 23:08:34 +0100
I've added support for the anonymous account to mysql-empty-passwords. If a user with an empty name exists in MySQL
you can authenticate anonymously. This basically means that you can authenticate using any username you want, given
it's not the name of another user. Running the mysql-brute against a server with the anonymous account enabled will
look as if all the guessed users will have access, which they sort of do.

I ran into the same issue with smb-brute.nse when the Guest account is enabled. I ended up putting a couple checks at
the top that would use random usernames and fail saying "Random username accepted, can't enumerate" if it worked.
--
Ron Bowes
http://www.skullsecurity.org