Nmap Development mailing list archives

payload file prototype

From: Jay Fink <jay.fink () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 18:29:47 -0500

All,

Attached is a prototype for moving payloads into an external file.
Using it is easy:

  tar xjf prototype-nmap-payload.tar.bz2
  cd prototype-nmap-payload/
  make
  ./payload <udp|tcp> <port>

There are no tcp ones but feel free to fake some up.

This is a draft I wrote independent of the source tree to more or less
whack the module into shape before integrating it. At the end of the
day I want the module to:
- set or return the payload
- set or return a source port if there is a preference

Right now what it does is:
- set payload
- return source port (if there is a preference) , 0 or -1

The remaining steps are:
- test this bugger
- integrate, make a patch and test lots lots more...

Note: I do not have a payload_NAME field, we can add that if we want a
place holder, I'd just have to go back over where the fields are
scanned in.
Note: we only do one pass with these, maybe later if we deem it
necessary I might look into doing multiple passes like unicornscan
does but that touches a lot of other stuff and for now is - whats the
term - *out of scope* :=D

My main concerns with this prototype are mostly related to the the
string handling, I'm not confident the way I am doing things is safe
(sane?) but - its a start :D

Thx!,