Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: GSoC: Nmap on Android

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 15:43:46 -0600

On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 11:21:53PM -0600, luke jeter wrote:
My thought is that if a second layout (or two or three) will be done to
improve how things are displayed on such a relatively small screen, why not
spend the same amount of time creating a new gui using the tools provided by
the Android SDK. There are probably other features that would be nice to
have on a handheld device that I don't think already exist in Zenmap, such
as a list of reachable wireless networks, which could also be written into
an Android-specific interface.

Thanks for the notes on Android. If there are useful features that
Zenmap is missing, there's no reason to add them only to a new mobile
interface. Desktop users should get them too. And going the other way,
if Zenmap's interface poses problems for small screens, it's better to
redesign the interface and get rid of excess crud on the desktop too,
not just in a mobile interface that's going to require separate
maintenance.

There's nothing sacred about the Zenmap interface. It's already changed
a lot. I'd love to see a proposal that shows how we can get rid of the
left Hosts/Services column--not an effective use of space in my
opinion--and present that information in line with the other scan
results, while retaining the ability to select a single host or service.
I may be mistaken, but I think the Filter Hosts function can do
everything the left sidebar can do, just not in as discoverable a
fashion.

David Fifield