Nmap Development mailing list archives

Request to artists: additional OS icons for Zenmap

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 13:43:19 -0600

Zenmap uses icons to represent different operating systems. I list of
all the icons we have is

http://nmap.org/book/zenmap-results.html#zenmap-os-icons

Devices such as printers and routers get assigned the "Other" icon,
which is misleading because it looks like a monitor and those devices
don't have monitors. It would be good to have special icons for the most
common device types that aren't served by the icons we have already.

These are the most common device types with their counts:

1168 general purpose
 216 printer
 194 switch
 168 WAP
 128 broadband router
  89 specialized
  80 storage-misc
  75 router
  67 firewall
  59 media device
  44 VoIP phone
  40 phone
  37 webcam

http://nmap.org/book/osdetect-device-types.html is a description of what
these mean.

general purpose and specialized don't need icons. I think the
highest priority icons should be for printer, switch, WAP, broadband
router, and router. broadband router and router can share an icon. The
others are nice to have but not as important. It's hard to find an
effective representation of something like a firewall that's not just a
visual pun--maybe we could have a generic blinkenlights box icon for
headless devices of that sort.

Is anyone interested in making some icons? They must be done in SVG,
ideally matching the style of the icons we have already, which you can
find at http://nmap.org/svn/zenmap/share/zenmap/pixmaps/. The has to be
original or be under a suitable license so that we can use it. A good
source for public domain clip art is http://www.openclipart.org/.

David Fifield