Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: GSoC: ncrack

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 00:40:15 -0700

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 05:33:47PM +0000, Alex wrote:
Hello!

I'm a student of the Ukrainian National Technical University.
I looked through the project ideas list and to tell the truth ncrack
tool caught my special attention.
I worked on the developing a tool similar to ncrack.
And I'm good at programming in C/C++.
I'd like to continue developing and debugging ncrack.
Adding new modules to ncrack goes to my plans too. Now i'm going to
explain more concrete what i mean:
   1. https
   2. pop3 and smtp
   3. smb
I was thinking about some more modules which i'd like to discuss  in
details with mentor.
Besides, I hope that my work will be useful.
I'm ready to maintain developing of ncrack even after GSoC.

Hi Alex.  Thanks for your interest in Ncrack!  Note that the Ncrack
section of our ideas page says:

"Competition for this position is extremely fierce, so we recommend
 applying for a different project if there is one you like equally
 well."

So if you want to apply for this one, you really need to distinguish
yourself.  An example might be to write an efficient and effective
Ncrack module (or other useful patch) in time for your application.
While competition for this role is fierce, we're not afraid to sponsor
multiple Ncrack developers if they are really exceptional.

Cheers,
-F