Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Getting started with NSE

From: Patrick Donnelly <batrick () batbytes com>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 15:46:00 -0400

Hello Raja,

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 3:01 PM, raja naresh <rajanaresh89 () gmail com> wrote:
I have been using nmap for a while now and I really want to get started on
the development side. I was not tracking any developments of nmap until now
and it's really interesting to know that nmap has already support for
scripting engine. Not sure if this was already available in the version I
was using (nmap-5.00) but anyway, I already came to know about some of the
details of NSE from the GSoC page and I would be obliged if anyone could
elicit the reasons for choosing lua as the scripting language interface.
Anyone with any information or pointers to the developers list where the
decisions took place are really appreciated.

I don't know if you'll find any reasons in the mailing list archives
but a brief reasoning is provided in the NSE chapter of the Nmap
Scanning Book [1].

I am a student and I am really looking forward to integrating a high level
scripting language such as python. I am thinking of it to be my idea for my
application for GSoC. Any sort of help is welcome and appreciated.

Python is not intended for use as a scripting language in the
traditional sense. It is better suited for high-level application
development (which we do use it for, in Zenmap).

[1] http://nmap.org/book/nse-language.html

--
- Patrick Donnelly