Nmap Development mailing list archives

I want to apply for Nping Developer

From: GuangLiang Yang <gygl09 () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 14:36:28 +0800

Hi, everyone. I'm studying in Chinese Academy of Science now.

Yesterday I learned the project called "Nping" though GSoC, and read it's
manual page seriously. I find it is small, flexible, and powerful
enough. I'm very interesting in it.
And I'm good at programming in C++. I'm sure I can complete this job
well.

I want to get more details about this project "Nping Developer".

No.1 - Ideas list say "This year we hope to add an innovated echo mode
which allows an Nping listener to run on the target system and report
back to clients exactly what packets were received".

The process of "echo communication" is not complicated, but it requires
a new and special protocal to do this tasks. Maybe there was a good
protocal for this(but I have not found it) which will deal with it
easyly.
And the designed protocal should meet following functions:
a. notify listener to record data
b. acknowledge
c. ask listener to send received data back

But I have a question :
    The tester can send data in tcp, udp, even Ethernet mode. But
    what packets should be stored by the Nping listener? just tcp mode
    data, or udp mode data, or all?

No.2 - "it also identifies network mangling such as network address
translation."
Stun protocal will be usefull for this task. But I need take time to
learn it.

That's all. 3Q