Nmap Development mailing list archives

nmap errors on *BSDs (noted on NetBSD and MacOSX, so far)

From: Fredrik Pettai <pettai () nordu net>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 17:28:29 +0100

Hi,

I've noted two problems that has surfaced in between the release of nmap 5.00 (2009-07-15) -> 5.10BETA1 (2009-11-23).

First one, traceroute doesn't work any more on *BSD system. I've verified this on NetBSD, Mac OS X (I haven't verified OpenBSD, but this probably broken there as well). FreeBSD status is unknown. This is probably be due to this change:

o Nmap's --traceroute has been rewritten for better performance. Probes are sent in parallel to individual hosts, not just across all hosts as before. Trace consolidation is more sophisticated, allowing common traces to be identified sooner and fewer probes to be sent. The older traceroute could be very slow (taking minutes per target) if the target did not respond to the trace probes, and this new traceroute avoids that. In a trace of 110 hosts in a /24 over the Internet, the number of probes sent dropped 50% from 1565 to 743, and the time taken dropped 92% from 95 seconds to 7.6 seconds. Traceroute now uses an ICMP echo request probe if no working probes against the target were discovered during scanning. [David]

The other, more problematic error (not present on Mac OS X AFAIK), is then you run nmap as root on NetBSD, you get this error:

# ./nmap -A ping.sunet.se

Starting Nmap 5.10BETA1 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2010-03-23 16:35 CET
WARNING: Unable to find appropriate interface for system route to 193.10.5.1 WARNING: Unable to find appropriate interface for system route to 127.0.0.1 WARNING: Unable to find appropriate interface for system route to 127.0.0.1 Target* nexthost(HostGroupState*, TargetGroup*, scan_lists*, int): failed to determine route to ping.sunet.se (192.36.125.18)
QUITTING!

However, running as a normal user, it works as expected.

I'd be grateful if someone is willing to help in hunting down the bugs.

Regards,
/P