Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Ndiff core dumps on large scans

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 13:57:00 -0600

On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 03:44:17PM +0200, Clausen, Martin (DK - Copenhagen) wrote:
Running Ndiff on large scans (8192 IP addresses) makes it core dump;
probably because it cannot allocate more memory. Mu Linux box has 1 GB
RAM.

Thanks for your report. What version of Nmap do you have installed?
Shortly after 5.00 was released, I made a change that should make Ndiff
require less memory. Unfortunately at this time you will have to get the
latest version from Subversion.

http://nmap.org/book/install.html#inst-svn

A core dump is strange because Ndiff is a Python program. I would expect
a Python MemoryError. What is the exact output that you see?

David Fifield