Nmap Development mailing list archives

Large scale OS verification

From: Ankur Nandwani <ankur2tenn () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2009 23:15:20 -0600

Hey Guys,

I am working on a OS fingerprinting tool, and I am using it to
fingerprint tens of millions of machines on the Internet running HTTP.

Now I need to verify the accuracy of my tool, so for the same I plan
to download the page contents and HTTP headers, and then parse the
content and headers to determine the OS of the machine. So what do you
guys think about the efficacy of this approach in determining the
correct OS, or is there any other approach, which may be inefficient
but can give me better results, so that I can verify my tool.

Thanks
Ankur