Nmap Development mailing list archives

Need help on Wrong OS detection by Nmap 5.0

From: Jaisankar <jsankr () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2009 07:36:53 +0530

Hi All,

       Merry Christmas & Happy New year

       This is my first email to you. I am new to Nmap tool, started
learning from your book "Nmap Network Scanning". Thanks for the great open
source tool.
         I have Windows Vista as base OS and installed VM ware 7.0 on it. I
installed Windows 2003 on VMware and bridged the network. On windows 2003 VM
OS, i installed the newly downloaded Nmap 5.0 GUI version for windows. I
only set my IP address (192.168.1.2 - my base Vista OS) in the Target IP and
left the default intense  scan in the Profile. I got this strage OS
detection result which i have attached in this mail.

           I am afraid, if Nmap couldnt find my local Base OS from its VM
ware OS. Instead of Vista OS, it is guessing the OS as Apple OS X 10.5.5
Leopard,

         Please review it and reply.

regards,

Jaisankar.R