Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: XSLT for translating Nmap XML output to Assessment Results Format (ARF)

From: Henri Salo <henri () nerv fi>
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2009 15:20:41 +0300

On Fri, 9 Oct 2009 17:10:27 -0700
Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org> wrote:

The US Depterment of Defence Computer Network Defense Research and
Technology Program Management Office (US DoD CND R&T PMO) has created
and donated the attached XSLT for converting Nmap XML output to the
Assessment Results Format (ARF).  Here is a description of ARF:

 "The ARF language is a general Security Content Automation Protocol
  (SCAP) results reporting language developed by the DoD in
  conjunction with NIST and members of the SCAP vendor community. It
  provides a structured language for exchanging and exporting
  detailed, per-device assessment data between network assessment
  tools. ARF is intended to be used by vulnerability scanners,
  eXtensible Configuration Checklist Description Format (XCCDF)
  scanners, and other tools that collect detailed configuration data
  about Internet Protocol-based networked devices. Detailed
  information about ARF can be found in the ARF specification and data
  dictionary."

You can learn more here:
http://metadata.dod.mil/mdr/ns/netops/shared_data/arf_index_page/0.41

I've attached the XSLT and an example ARF file they sent me.  If a
significant number of people find this useful, we can ship the XSLT
with Nmap.

Cheers,
Fyodor

I would like to see this in Nmap in the future. Is there any reason
why we would not add this?

---
Henri Salo