Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: NMAP NSE script for iSCSI enumeration

From: Ron <ron () skullsecurity net>
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2009 20:15:18 -0500

Hi Michel,

Like Fyodor, I don't have access to any iSCSI devices. That being said, I think your code looks great overall! Just two comments:

1. Like Fyodor, I think the packets should be spelled out more cleanly. I highly recommend using bin.pack() and bin.unpack() (look at any of my scripts to see examples). They aren't the most straight forward functions, but it makes it way easier to see what's going on (it looks to me like yours is a bunch of null-terminated strings, which is 'z' when using bin.pack()).

2. When reading the output, you're going to have a nil-pointer exception if TargetName wasn't in your string. Also, you don't need to define an 'e' variable, if you leave it off it'll work as expected (not a big deal). I'd suggest checking that 's' is valid.

I'd also suggest only returning an error code if nmap.debugging() > 0. In all my scripts, I only return errors when debugging is enabled. Not everybody does that, but I think it's cleaner that way. That one's up to you, obviously.

Hope that helps! And if you have any questions about NSE scripts, feel free to ask me. I'm always happy to help!

Ron