Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [Offer] Windows (MSI) Installer for ZeNMap & NMap

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 23:27:37 -0800

On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 12:02:07PM +1100, Chip Panarchy wrote:
Hi

Would you like an MSI Install for ZeNMap & NMap?

Happy to write one, would be a nice challenging project for myself.

But first, is there demand?

Does anyone want one?

If I create one, will it be placed here: http://nmap.org/download.html

Hi Chip.  You are certainly welcome to write an MSI installer and post
a link to the installer source and the package to nmap-dev.  Right now
we use NSIS, but we're always happy to look at alternates.

As for the download page, we really only want one Windows installer
for simplicity's sake.  In order to offer both, there would have to be
extremely compelling reasons why neither one is sufficient by itself.
That is unlikely.  But we're at least open to changes in the one we
offer.  Right now we use NSIS for our WinPcap and Nmap and it has been
working well for us for years.  So changing to MSI would require a
solid case for why it is better (e.g. easier to maintain, more
portable, more bug free, more useful, etc.)

I don't know enough about the differences between NSIS and MSI to know
if a solid case can be made.  But I'm all ears if people want to
suggest why they prefer one or the other.

Also, if you make an MSI and post it, that can only help.

Cheers,
-F