Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: service fingerprints && web service probe suggestion

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2009 21:46:02 -0800

On Tue, Dec 08, 2009 at 04:45:33PM +0100, Willem de Groot wrote:

See below for my service fingerprint submit. I'd like to note that,
for people only scanning for http services, it may be worthwhile to
add this line to nmap-service-probes, just below the null probe:

ports 1-79,81-8079,8081-65535

Because http services generally do not advertise themselves upon
connect, the null probe is of no use here.

Hi Willem.  Thanks for the match lines.  The HTTP probe will still run
by default even for non-standard ports.  It is just that the null
"probe" happens first.

What's more, many
routers/WAPs such as the Siemens Gigaset operate a default timeout < 5
sec. These services will be reported as "tcpwrapped" by nmap, unless
the nullprobe is skipped.

That is a good point, but seems like an extraordinarily short timeout.
They will close web connections after just 5 seconds idle?!

PS. the jewel below is definitely the Kesseltronics Car Wash Tunnel ;-)

Haha, car wash signatures are awesome!

Thanks for the signatures, but the lines seem to have been wrapped.
Maybe if you send the diff as an attachment insteada of inline that
won't happen.  Also, what would be even better, is if you could submit
them via Nmap's version detection submission form (see
http://nmap.org/submit/).  If you could include the fingerprint Nmap
gets you and also the match line you generated, that would be perfect.
The reason we prefer that is because it helps a lot when we have to go
back and change signatures if we can find the original fingerprint
submission.

Cheers,
-F