Nmap Development mailing list archives

[BUG?] Setting host ( using h//) based on UDP matchlines

From: "tom () fadedcode net" <tom () fadedcode net>
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2009 06:07:03 -0600

I had hoped to have this problem sorted out already but I have been buried in work so I wanted to send
this to the list before I forgot.

While working on the UDP probe/match line that Patrik Karlsson sent in I experienced some problems setting the Hostname value using h/ / on a matchline. The matchline reliably captured the host name data from the service response. I could set the information value using i/$4/ 100% of the time, but I could never set the Hostname value using h/$4/. I tested the same thing on TCP probes and never experienced the problem.

I had intended to replicate this with other UDP probes, build a test case for it and, if it was actually a bug,
fix the problem but have not had time.

Tom