Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Deletion of obsolete script files before installation

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 13:17:47 -0700

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 11:51:57AM -0800, Corey Chandler wrote:
David Fifield wrote:
So instead of deleting the entire directory, I made a list of specific
script names that will be deleted before installing new scripts. This
reduces the chance that someone's custom script will be deleted. I made
the list by installing Nmap 4.76 and comparing its script names with
what we have now.

Not sure how much of a pain in the arse it would be, but could we
potentially have the script matching logic verify checksums before
deletion?  That way if someone changed a script but kept the name, we
won't blow out their work.

I don't think it's worth it. Those scripts were being overwritten on
each installation before they were renamed anyway.

David Fifield