Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: nmap returns "Host <ip_address> appears to be up" instead of "Host <hostname> appears to be up" for some of the nodes

From: Guang Cheng Li <liguangc () cn ibm com>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 09:27:59 +0800

HI David,

Thank you for your reponse.

The -oX and -oG does change the output format to make it easier for the
output parsing, but the "hostname" information is still not available for
some nodes. I can update my script to check both the ip address and the
hostname, but I have to call lot of hostname resolution system calls to
resolve the hostnames/ip addresses, the performance degradation might be a
problem for me because I can have at most 64,000 nodes in my cluster.

Actually we are using /etc/hosts to resolve the host names because the DNS
itself also has some kind of scaling issues, though the DNS hostname
resolution also works in the cluster. Do you think the flag "--system-dns"
will be a better choice for us because we are using /etc/hosts for hostname
resolution? The experiment also shows that the "--system-dns" runs faster
in my environment, is there any other side effects by specifying the
"--system-dns" flag?

Thanks,
 Li,Guang Cheng (李光成)
 IBM China Software Development Laboratory

             David Fifield
             <david@bamsoftwar
             e.com>                                                     To
                                       Guang Cheng Li/China/IBM@IBMCN
                                       nmap-dev () insecure org
                                                                   Subject