Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Linux vs. Windows results

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 17:17:19 -0700

On Mon, Nov 09, 2009 at 01:58:12PM +0100, Sandro Poppi wrote:
I ran into an interesting (weird?) behaviour of os detection of nmap v5.00:

Sometimes (not always) I get inaccurate results when I scan from a
linux box while doing the same scan from a Windows XP box the os
detection is perfect.

E.G. scanning a Windows 2003 Server SP2 (nmap -O -sSU -T4 <target>):

Linux: No exact OS matches
Windows: OS Details: Microsoft Windows Server 2003 SP1 or SP2

This could be caused by different network conditions between the two
scanning machines and the target. Are they all on the same network?

Does the Linux scan print out a fingerprint? If so, then it probably had
a very close, but not exact, match. Try adding the --osscan-guess option
to force it to be printed.

David Fifield