Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Minor nmap feature request with great payback

From: Jon Kibler <Jon.Kibler () aset com>
Date: Sun, 08 Nov 2009 13:57:04 -0500

Rob Nicholls wrote:
On Sun, 08 Nov 2009 11:54:53 -0500, Jon Kibler <Jon.Kibler () aset com>
wrote:
What I would like to see is a new option, "--reason-details" that gives
not only
the reason for determining that a port was open/closed/filtered/etc.,
but
also
gives the IP and TTL of the packet that sent the response.

An alternative might be to keep the existing "--reason" option, but
display the additional information you suggest depending on the verbosity
level that's been set?

My only concern with the additional information (although TBH I would find
it really useful) is that it would result in a much wider REASON column in
the output table, which would eat into the space used for the VERSION
column.

Rob

Rob,

Just to be clear, I was not proposing to eliminate the "--reason" option, but to
instead add a new option that turns on reason and adds more detail.

I agree that it may cause the version column to be pushed out. At that point,
for "normal" output, maybe the line should be split into two lines, but kept as
one one for "grepable" output. Also, to cut down on verbiage, may the output
could add "IP" and "TTL" columns to make it less wide.

The problem I would have with adding the detail by increasing the verbosity, is
that the added verbosity would add other "stuff" that I would not want to have
to clean up in any formal report I delivered.

Jon
- --
Jon R. Kibler
Chief Technical Officer
Advanced Systems Engineering Technology, Inc.
Charleston, SC  USA
o: 843-849-8214
c: 843-813-2924
s: 843-564-4224
s: JonRKibler
e: Jon.Kibler () aset com
e: Jon.R.Kibler () gmail com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/jonrkibler

My PGP Fingerprint is:
BAA2 1F2C 5543 5D25 4636 A392 515C 5045 CF39 4253