Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Ncat for Netcat users

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2009 00:31:47 -0800

On Wed, Nov 04, 2009 at 09:28:53PM -0500, Ron wrote:
I'm not sure if you guys have seen this yet, but it's a pretty good
guide to using Ncat targeted for people who are accustomed to Netcat:

http://junker.org/~tkh16/ncat-for-netcat-users.php

Thanks Ron!  This sort of article is really nice to see.  Some of the
issues he notes will be fixed with the new Nmap (and Ncat) release
next week.  Also, I can understand how this part frustrates him:

   Unfortunately, Ncat cannot be used as an SSL wrapper around a
   non-encrypted service (such as VNC) because of the way Ncat forks a
   process when using its command execution options. To quote the Ncat
   source code: "This doesn't work because we just fork and redirect
   the child's standard input and output to a socket. To support
   --exec with --ssl we would need to fork Ncat code to speak SSL to
   the socket and plaintext to the subprocess."

We might want to think some more about how important this really is,
how hard it would be to support, and whether we want to try.

Am I the only one who finds it hard to read when a page background is
stationary and the text scrolls?

I'll help spread the word about this article after the new release is
out.  That will give the author more time to expand and improve the
article too, if he wants to.

If you have any comments, I might be having dinner with the author
tomorrow night, so let me know!

Can you forward this email to him?  Clicking on his "contact" page
gives just a web form.  I hope you had a great dinner!

Cheers,
-F