Nmap Development mailing list archives

Version detection output - script vs normal

From: Tom Sellers <nmap () fadedcode net>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 12:23:55 -0500

I have a question about the difference in output seen when nmap identifies port service info when using build in version detection (-sV) verses script detection.

Scenario:
I have a NSE script that will determine a particular service's version as well as server platform. Nmap has build in detection for the service, but it is not a common service. While testing the script I do not use version detection (-sV)
so that I can speed up the process.

What I have seen is that if built in service detection is NOT enabled the port's service (http,ftp, mysql) IS displayed, but the service name, version and extrainfo
are NOT.

This was observed using an SVN version of nmap.

For example

nmap   -sV --version-all --script=custom-script.nse  -p60000 192.168.100.111

PORT      STATE         SERVICE         VERSION
60000/tcp open custom MyServ Server 10.33.22 (Solaris)
|  custom-script: MyServ Version: 10.33.22
|_  Server Platform: Solaris

nmap  --script=custom-script.nse  -p60000 192.168.100.111

PORT      STATE         SERVICE
60000/tcp open          custom
|  custom-script: MyServ Version: 10.33.22
|_  Server Platform: Solaris

The name, version and extrainfo data are also not output to the XML results.

In both the above cases the port info was set via NSE using the following code:

        port.version.name = "custom"
        port.version.name_confidence = 100
if server_version ~= nil then port.version.version = server_version end if server_class ~= nil then port.version.extrainfo = server_class end
        nmap.set_port_version(host, port, "hardmatched")

Is this behavior expected?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks much,

Tom