Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: NPing issue.

From: "Luis M." <luis.mgarc () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 09:01:36 +0100

Hi!

Thanks a lot for the report. I've been having a look at the code and the
problem is that the assertion shouldn't even be there. The thing is that
function route_dst() was originally written for nmap and then reused in
nping. I modified it to nping's needs but there is still some code that
needs to be changed.

The problem is fixed commenting out the assertion. There is code that
handles the case where device[0] == '\0' so it should be safe to remove
it. I'll fix it for next version. In the meantime you can simply delete
line 973 in common_modified.cc.

Regards,

Luis.

AFH Security wrote:
Hey guys,

I'm fairly new to the list so I just figured I'd let everyone know
that "nping" may or may not have an issue.,I notice an issue when I
tried to compile NPing I had an issue with "libnbase" and then someone
suggested in the #nmap irc channel on Freenode, that I should "make
clean" before "make", so that cleared everything and finally compiled.
I used "checkinstall" to create a deb package.

One it finally installed , I was eager to try out a few options.
Oh of which I thought would be pretty neat to see the responses on my
"test box", having a packet sniffer running on the box getting ready
to receive all the packets, I send a packet created with nping to the
testbox. Sadly, no success.
Now, I'm not sure if it's my fault on whether or not I used the tool
correctly, but I know with Hping all I had to do was specify the
source, and destination .... So that's what I did.. firstly I tried it
with hping3

sudo hping3 -SA -c 5 -d 187 -j -a spoofer.testnetwork.lan -p 139 -s
4444 victimbox.testnetwork.lan

Everything seemed to have work just fine... Then I tried the same
using Nping is here is the following results.:

sudo nping --tcp -p 139 -g 4444 --flags syn -S
spoofedbox.testnetwork.lan victimbox.testnetwork.lan

I get: nping: common_modified.cc:973: bool route_dst(const
sockaddr_storage*, route_nfo*, bool, char*, sockaddr_storage*):
Assertion `device[0] != '\0'' failed.
Aborted

So not sure if that's a bug on my end or if. It may be because  it
lacks support to switch which ever interface you want to use.
HPing automatically selects the one that's connected to the internet.
Dsniff tools force me to specify, which interface to use. Perhaps
that's the missing link?

I hope this helps and hope to see a new release soon.