Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Question about adding EBCDIC conversion function

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2009 22:05:04 -0600

On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 05:41:14PM -0500, Tom Sellers wrote:
I have a question about adding function to convert EBCDIC encoded
data to ASCII...  Before my primary machine died this last weekend I
was working on a NSE script to extract information from IBM DB2
database instances in a manner similar to what we do now with MS SQL.
Right now I can pull the server version, platform and database instance
name using a IBM DB2 EXCSAT (Exchange server attributes) command.
This is an IBM supported command that, from what I can tell, has no
negative effects.  Wireshark's dissectors are absolutely invaluable when
doing this..those guys are great.

Anyway... its almost done, I should be able to submit it when I get my
machine up and running again.

Part of this script takes EBCDIC encoded hex values from the server
response and returns the human readable ASCII values.  While the
conversion code is not super robust it should be sufficient for the
NSE script I am using it in.

Would there be any value to adding this conversion ability to one of
the existing libraries?  I expect us to see EBCDIC encoded data when
dealing with big iron and certain classes of software, such as DB2.

I would say let's keep it in the script for now. If there's a greater
need for it in the future we'll know where to find it and we can move it
to a library in a backwards-compatible fashion.

David Fifield