Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Metasploit joining forces with Rapid7

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 19:37:51 -0700

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 07:11:47PM -0500, Ron wrote:

But seriously, I'd be lying if I said that the Rapid7 move didn't
concern me.. I'm not all that sure how it's all going to shake out. That
being said, I have a ton of respect for HD and the Metasploit guys, and
I'm sure they wouldn't be doing it if they didn't see it as the best
option.

I know what you mean.  This sort of thing has been a disaster for some
projects, while I think it has worked really well for others (such as
the CACE acquisition of Wireshark).  Frankly, I was also concerned for
Metasploit way back when HD announced that he was rewriting it from
scratch in Ruby, and then later when HD went and got married and had a
daughter.  But HD navigated Metasploit well through those waters, so
I'm hopeful that the project will continue to grow and bring us great
things.

And if not, we'll just have to redouble our efforts in the NSE
"exploit" category, or add a new "Nsploit" tool to the Nmap suite :).

Cheers,
-F