Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Follow up to NMAP on Snow Leopard with VMWARE Fusion installed

From: Walt Scrivens <walts () gate net>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 13:28:50 -0400

I have a similar configuration - Snow Leopard 10.6.1 with VMWare Fusion 2.0.5 and nmap 5.05BETA1, yesterday's build. I'm getting similar results - it seems to balk at running as root. it just lists the 2 vmnet interfaces and stops:

========================
TestComputer:~ walts$ sudo nmap 192.168.1.1

Starting Nmap 5.05BETA1 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2009-09-18 13:23 EDT
Warning: Unable to open interface vmnet8 -- skipping it.
Warning: Unable to open interface vmnet1 -- skipping it.

========================
(Control-C after a few minutes)

========================

TestComputer:~ walts$ nmap 192.168.1.1

Starting Nmap 5.05BETA1 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2009-09-18 13:24 EDT
Interesting ports on 192.168.1.1:
Not shown: 997 closed ports
PORT   STATE SERVICE
23/tcp open  telnet
53/tcp open  domain
80/tcp open  http

Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 2.26 seconds

I ran Wireshark while doing this. The first (sudo) run produced no packets at all; the second generated over 2,000 packets

I don't know if VMWare is having an impact - it has always complained about the vmnet interfaces.

I wish I knew more about what's happening / supposed to happen, so I could contribute something to the discussion. I'm very happy to run lots of tests if someone will tell me what to do!

Walt