Nmap Development mailing list archives

DHCP payload probe?

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2009 22:09:03 -0600

On Tue, Sep 08, 2009 at 07:40:42AM -0500, Ron wrote:
I put together a script to probe DHCP servers this weekend.
Unfortunately, I only have my Linksys WRT54g with stock firmware to test
against, so I'd appreciate others giving it a shot!

Basically, do a UDP scan against port 67 on your gateway device, as
root, and see what the response is.

nmap -d -sU -p67 --script=dhcp-inform <target>

I've attached it as a .patch because it requires an extra function added
to ipOps.lua.

With your knowledge of DHCP, can you recommend a safe response-provoking
payload that could be sent with all UDP probes to port 67 during port
scanning?

David Fifield