Nmap Development mailing list archives

Proxy scanning

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 14:25:43 -0700

Yesterday David and I were talking about proxy scanning, which has
been on the Nmap TODO list for many years.  One of the strongest
signals that users really want something is when they go through major
pains and contortions to get it working by any means possible.  For
example, PaulDotComTV released a video a few days ago which shows the
contortions they're using for proxy scanning with Nmap:

http://vimeo.com/6238958?hd=1

In this video, they use proxychains to proxify Nmap.  Then they run a
Privoxy proxy server which in turn talks to tortunnel to send the data
through a Tor exit node.  Amazingly, Nmap still seems to work through
all this :).  But it will work far better when we support proxying
scans (including connect scans + version detection and NSE) natively.

The video does include some important tips, such as using -P0 (-PN).

Cheers,
Fyodor