Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Nping 0.1BETA2 Released

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2009 13:17:34 -0700

On Sun, Aug 23, 2009 at 01:28:56PM +0100, Luis M. wrote:
I think we may need to change the behaviour so it's consistent in all
cases. What about:

 - User is unprivileged and did not supply mode:  --> Use TCP-Connect
 - User is unprivileged and supplied --tcp --> Use TCP-Connect
 - User is unprivileged and supplied --upd --> User UDP unprivileged
 - User is root and did not supply mode --> Use ICMP Echo
 - User is root and supplied --tcp --> Use raw sockets TCP
 - User is root and supplied --udp --> User raw sockets UDP
 - User is root and wants to use TCP-Connect --> User needs to either
pass --tcp-connect or --unprivileged

This sounds good to me, and is strikingly similar to Nmap's host
discovery defaults (yay consistency!)

 - User is root and want unprivileged UDP --> User needs to pass
--unprivileged or --udp-XXXXX (any suggestions?. --udp-sendto() may not
be the best idea because when we use raw sockets we also use sendto() to
transmit the data).

I think either way is reasonable: either adding a special option now,
or letting people use --unprivileged for now and adding the special
--udp-whatever option if we see demand from users for it.

Cheers,
-F