Nmap Development mailing list archives

Bug report, with workaround

From: Mike Crawford <mike.crawford () live co uk>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 12:32:23 +0100

Hello,

I've used Nmap before but was having grief today. To be more specific, I'm using Zenmap on Windows XP.

I could scan ok and some info was displayed about the target hosts. I then got to the message saying how many hosts
were scanned in what time, and then an error "The system cannot find the path specified." As in:

Nmap done: 40 IP addresses (8 hosts up) scanned in 4.61 seconds

At which point, the scan failed with no hosts/services being listed in the left hand pane. After a while of tearing my
hair out, I found a file called r at C:\Documents and Settings which looked like something to do with my scan results.
The username I was running under in Windows is "R & T blah blah" and it looks like the '&' (or maybe spaces - haven't
tested this) is causing problems for Nmap being able to create the C:\Documents and Settings\R & T blah
blah\.zenmap\zenmap database file.

I created another user account with no '&' in it and it was business as usual for Nmap.

I can't find any way to change the location where zenmap puts this file though I'm sure the '&' in the user name
problem can be resolved.

Hope this is helpful and I've sent it to the right place.

Regards,

Mike Crawford.