Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Ncrack 0.01ALPHA released

From: ithilgore <ithilgore.ryu.l () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 03:17:37 +0300

Toni Ruottu wrote:
Here is a story about me taking my first steps with ncrack:

I try running ncrack with simply ./ncrack to get the help message.
"Usage: ncrack [Options] {target specification}" makes me think I only
need to define target specification, and everything else is optional.
However part labeled "TARGET SPECIFICATION" doesn't discus services.
So when I try running it against a local machine with ./ncrack
192.168.1.13 I get an error for not defining a service. After reading
service specification section I manage to define the service, and
ncrack starts happily cracking the box.

Probably, the usage line should be changed to explicitly mention that a service
specification is needed, though I think that it is fairly obvious since Ncrack
is not a port scanner and specifically needs some particular service (or
services) to attack.

Then I decide I want to define a user name so ncrack does not need to
brute force both user name and password. I realize that my user names
are not too cryptic, and someone personally attacking me will probably
be able to guess them. I run "./ncrack" again to see how I could
define a user. All I find is option -U for reading user names from a
file. I do "echo mylogin > users" and run "./ncrack -U users
ssh://192.168.1.13". Now ncrack tells me I'm being inconsistent and
that I should set NCRACKDIR to . in order to be consistent.

The message displayed lets Ncrack continue to run though. Running it as
./ncrack -U ./users would be enough to stop that message from appearing.
However, indeed some changes should be made so that the message is more clear
and not displayed when it shouldn't.
Thanks for spotting that.

I think
there might be a collision and rename the file to users2. This doesn't
help, so I run "NCRACKDIR=. ./ncrack -U users2 ssh://192.168.1.13",
but the message does not go away. Then I notice the option for setting
data dir. So I try running "./ncrack --datadir . -U users2
ssh://192.168.1.13". This doesn't work either, so I give up and stop
trying.

Actually, I just tried running it the way you did, and it runs normally with the
-U users file taken from the current directory with no problem. The misleading
thing in this whole situation was that Warning message, which will now be
changed to account for this case.
Thanks for your comments.

Regards,
ithilgore