Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Status Report #16 of 17

From: ithilgore <ithilgore.ryu.l () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 01:51:31 +0300

Hello all.

I hope you all download and play with the first Ncrack release (0.01ALPHA) and
comment on features you might want to see added, problems you might encounter or
successful test results!

During the time period of 12-17 August I might not be able to answer to all
mails in a rapid manner, because I will be at the HAR conference. Don't
hesitate, however, and do send your feedback.

Status Report #16 of 17

Accomplishments

* Completed man page. The man page has also been converted to html format and
  currently the latest version is at: nmap.org/ncrack/man.html

* Improved http-module and fixed some related corner-case bugs reported by David
  Fifield.

* Implemented Ncrack core engine functionality, that makes Ncrack stop cracking
  a service whenever a module reports that it can no longer or there is no point
  in continuing to attack the service.

* Made a macosx installer template based on Nmap. David Fifield corrected,
  completed and made the final Mac OS X dmg file.

* Updated Ncrack to use the latest nbase and nsock versions. Some changes were
  needed for a new signature of a Nsock function, due to Nmap's SCTP support.

* Introduced signal handlers to Ncrack.

* Changed the username/password directory layout. Now the lists use a file
  extension according to what they contain (.usr for usernames, .pwd for
  passwords) and a name describing what kind of lists they are. For example,
  minimal.usr holds a small list of very common usernames, while default.pwd
  is the default password list Ncrack uses whenever the -P (specify password
  filename) option is not specified.

* Assembled optimal default username list and added some more lists that can
  be selected by the users under lists/ .

* Improved ncrack_fetchfile() and fixed a bug reported by Vlatko Kosturjak.

* Updated changes for Windows.

* Introduced experimental IPv6 support.

* Wrote nmap.org/ncrack index.html page and uploaded distribution files.

* Released Ncrack ALPHA release for testing and wrote announcement.

* Discussed with Fyodor about pending issues and updated TODO file.

Priorities

* Get feedback from testers of Ncrack 0.01 ALPHA release.
* Work on things left at TODO list.