Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Nmap Windows Makefile

From: Daniel Roethlisberger <daniel () roe ch>
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2009 10:12:13 +0200

Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org> 2009-08-04:
On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 03:44:32PM +0300, ithilgore wrote:
1) The path for NSIS is assumed as C:\apps\NSIS
However, the default path for NSIS normally is C:\Progam Files\NSIS

2) The path for cygwin's c drive is assumed as /c, while the default
is /cygdrive/c which requires the developer to make a symlink.

Is there a reason for these 2 changes?

Since Ncrack needs to be largely compatible with Nmap, even when that just
involves compilation, I would propose that we either change Nmap's Makefile to
handle the default paths or if that is not considered as generic (for reasons
that I am not currently aware of) I can change Ncrack's Makefile to use the same
paths as Nmap's.

Hi Ithilgore.  Those are old customizations based on my system
configuration.  I think using the defaults would be better, even
though I do think "c:\Program Files" is an abomination compared to
"/bin".

Talking about abominations... This may or may not be obvious, but
the default location of the program files folder differs between
localized versions of Windows.  Some examples are "c:\Programme",
"c:\Program Filer" or "c:\Programma's".  %ProgramFiles% should
point to the correct folder.

So go ahead and use the defaults for your Ncrack installer, and please
change the Nmap Windows Makefile as well.

Thanks,
-F

--
Daniel Roethlisberger