Nmap Development mailing list archives

Zenmap -> Raw Sockets on SP2 Problem

From: Logan Harris <norcobike4 () hotmail com>
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2009 17:03:47 -0500

Hey

I am writing to you today to inquire about the issue I keep getting trying to use Zenmap. When I try and scan an IP, I
get,

"WARNING: Using raw sockets because ppp0 is not an ethernet device. This probably won't work on Windows.
pcap_open_live(ppp0,
100, 0, 2) FAILED. Reported error: Error opening adapter: The system
cannot find the device specified. (20).  Will wait 5 seconds then
retry."

After doing some research I've found that Windows SP2
has disabled Raw Sockets, and after a few more hours of research, I've
found nothing to fix this problem.  I was wondering if you know of a
fix for this problem, and to bring this to your attention. I am sure
you did, but it seems like it would affect a large portion of your
community.

Some other info
- Windows XP -> Service Pack 2
-Wired DSL internet with Speedstream Router+Modem

Thanks for your time.
TLB