Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: shtool script syntax error.

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2009 10:08:22 -0600

On Sat, Jul 25, 2009 at 04:01:39AM -0700, Jamie Komodo wrote:
When installing nmap 5.00 from bzip source (on Ubuntu 8.04.3 ), I get an
installation error when it tries to install ncat:

Installing Ncat
./shtool mkdir -f -p -m
755 /usr/local/bin /usr/local/share/ncat /usr/local/share/man/man1
chmod: changing permissions of `/usr/local/share/ncat': No such file or
directory
make[1]: *** [install] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/home/waydaws/downloads/build/Nmap/nmap-5.00/ncat'
make: *** [install-ncat] Error 2

****  Installation failed. Aborting package creation.

There seems to be a syntax error in shtool.  My man page for mkdir has
no "-f" option.   -p and -m make sense, of course, but -f?

Thank you for your report. As you found out, -f is an option to shtool.
shtool is a shell script wrapper that emulates other command line
utilities like mkdir, in order to provide a consistent behavior across
systems where those utilities may differ. You don't have to install
anything extra to use it.

I don't think this is a bug in shtool but perhaps something else weird
with your system. Does the directory /usr/local/share/ncat exist after
the attempted installation? What are the permissions on it?

David Fifield