Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Can't compile svn

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 13:13:01 -0600

On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 10:59:34PM -0700, rilian4 rilian4 wrote:
I was able to compile the stable source at work fine several times but
at home, where I am not blocked from getting the latest svn, I checked
out the main trunk and after executing ./configure successfully, I am
getting the following ending in failure of make in the ncat section. I
googled the error message and it said to install flex and bison
libraries, which I did, but I still get the same error on make. I did
a make distclean before the output seen below. Is there a master
package I am missing? The last version I successfully compiled on this
box was 4.85BETA7.

../libpcap/libpcap.a(gencode.o): In function `pcap_compile':
/home/netadmin/installs/svn/nmap/libpcap/./gencode.c:382: undefined
reference to `lex_init'
/home/netadmin/installs/svn/nmap/libpcap/./gencode.c:401: undefined
reference to `lex_cleanup'
/home/netadmin/installs/svn/nmap/libpcap/./gencode.c:368: undefined
reference to `lex_cleanup'
../libpcap/libpcap.a(grammar.o): In function `yyparse':
/home/netadmin/installs/svn/nmap/libpcap/y.tab.c:897: undefined
reference to `yylex'
/home/netadmin/installs/svn/nmap/libpcap/y.tab.c:1789: undefined
reference to `yylex'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[1]: *** [ncat] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/netadmin/installs/svn/nmap/ncat'
make: *** [ncat_build] Error 2

I'm not sure exactly what the problem is but I have seen it before. I
suspect it is caused by Subversion changing the timestamps of
checked-out files, causing files to be rebuilt that don't need to be.
Sometimes what fixes it for me is

        svn revert -R libpcap/

If that doesn't work, try reverting as above and then

        touch libpcap/gencode.c

David Fifield