Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: NAMP 5.0 man page on Solaris 8 does not display

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 10:14:13 -0600

On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 04:31:05PM -0400, Mike Peterson wrote:
The NAMP 5.0 man page does not display on Solaris 8 - it gives:

Reformatting page.  Please Wait...nroff: Out of temp file space; line 1787, file
 /opt/local/share/man/man1/nmap.1
 done

Nmap Reference Guide                                      NMAP(1)

Looks like the page is too much for 'nroff' to handle.
Any ideas?

Some web searching indicates that the Solaris nroff can't handle macro
names that are longer than two characters. Some of these are inserted by
the DocBook stylesheets that generate the man page.

http://bugs.opensolaris.org/view_bug.do?bug_id=6510256
http://www.mail-archive.com/docbook-apps () lists oasis-open org/msg12270.html

I attached a copy of the man page with those macros removed. Does it
work for you? We may be able to alter the generation process not to
include the macros.

David Fifield