Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Two ideas for NSE

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2009 10:21:16 -0600

On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 10:09:01PM -0400, Michael Pattrick wrote:
I have two ideas for NSE, I will keep these brief for now but based on
the response I may flesh this ideas out further.

 - NSE for Ncat
NSE is extremely useful for rapidly writing simple network programs,
currently this programmers are attached to the Nmap scanning engine
even if they do not benefit from a port scan. NSE for Ncat would allow
the same fine grained control but without all the overhead of being
reliant on the network scanner. I imagine this would be best
implemented by the addition of a new library which would be used by
both Ncat and Nmap. Nmap would load the library and then add any Nmap
dependent API(such as the Nmap namespace), and Ncat would do the same.

There's a TODO item to allow doing script scanning without port or ping
scanning. I needed to run whois.nse against a bunch of IPs without ping
scanning them first, and I had to hack the source to do it. Would this
capability work for you?

David Fifield