Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Zenmap-filter announcement

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 01:22:42 -0700

On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 07:35:11PM -0400, J Marlow wrote:

I've been working on a new feature for zenmap.  Its a host filtering feature
that allows you to filter out all of the hosts that don't match some
criteria.  Its currently running a bit slow, so its not fit for production
use, but I'm working on that.

Hi Josh.  I tried this out from your SVN and found it quite handy.
The UI is generaly quite intuitive.  But I did notice this oddity:

1) I open Zenmap and load a scan file.  In this case it is
   hotel-scan.xml, which I've put up for you here:
   http://insecure.org/tmp/c/hotel-scan.xml

2) I press the "services" toggle box to get into that mode, and select
   the "http" service to see a list of web servers.

3) I press control-L to show the host filter field, and the screen
   changes into the open ports for one machine.  But I would expect to
   still be in my http server list.

4) I can avoid the problem in step #3 by already having the filter
   field open when I go to the http server list.  Then I put into
   "IIS", which I hope will reduce the list to just the IIS server
   (because it will have run the host filter "IIS" on all the hosts
   and only that host will remain).  It properly limits things to the
   one host, but it puts me back in "hosts" mode again.

I think David has some ideas about what is going wrong, so you should
talk to him about it.

I agree that the current speed in unsatisfactory for large scans.  For
example, I've put a bigger scan log up here:
http://insecure.org/tmp/c/facebook-vscan-030909.xml.  That has fewer
than 1,000 hosts and yet the host filter often freezes (app totallly
unresponsive) for 5+ seconds when I try to use it.

Anyway, thanks for the sneak peek and I'm looking forward to this
feature once the kinks are worked out!

Cheers,
Fyodor